April 28, 2024, 09:22:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic chemistry question driving me insane.  (Read 3217 times)

Offline xoggyux

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Organic chemistry question driving me insane.
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
Hi, Im new to the forum so excuse me if I did not post the question in the proper place,
I got this question from my Organic Chemistry Lab Manual and it is driving me insane since there is no reference in the manual as how to approach this kind of question and we have not covered it yet in the lecture.
here is the question:

I dont even know if its makes sense, anyway it it does please give me an idea of how to solve it, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Organic chemistry question driving me insane.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »
Not very direct.

Maybe, give a chemical formula for each compound, and say whether you'd treat with acid or base to restore to protonated/deprotonated parent state.

Offline mreff555

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:32:18 AM »
What was the lab? Are these by any chance, conjugates of reagents? The question doesn't really give enough information so I'm assuming there must be more.

Offline xoggyux

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:51:20 AM »
thats it for the question, It is in the part of the lab manual that talks about "Recovery" (e.g. using organic solvents and acid/base solutions to isolate compounds within a mixture) if i dont get an aswer I might as well leave it blank or ask the instructor about that question. I thought about just naming the compounds but again we havent cover that nomenclature just yet so it seams weird they are asking for that.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:43:16 AM »
In fact this is not about organic chemistry, rather about weak acids and bases. You should know their behavior from GenChem.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links