General Forums > Generic Discussion

Personal Definitions of Chemistry

(1/1)

Mitch:
Invariably Chemistry always gets compared to Physics. Many chauvinistic particle physicist even claim Chemistry is just a branch of Physics. It's an obvious gross overstement, the aims of the 2 fields couldn't be more divergent. One field is obsessed with studying things, and the other is obsessed with making new things to study.

I'm just curious--what are your definitions of Chemistry?

Corvettaholic:
My definition of chemistry is mixed in with physics to me, its under the same flag. On the chemistry side, you're looking at how stuff interacts on the atomic level and below, and physics is more on a macro scale and deals more with electromagnetics and such. I think they're linked together with a different focus of study. So stuff that I think has a more physics take on it (infrared for instance) goes into the general forum and stuff that deals more with atomic interaction goes into the chemistry forum. Just my .02

Donaldson Tan:
Chemistry mostly evolves around movement and changes in electron density in substances.

hmx9123:
Chemistry cool science that isn't lame like physics. ;)  I've heard that statement about chemistry being a branch of physics, but you could make the same statement about physics in an odd way.  Chemistry is just all the useful things you can do with science.  Physics is the useless stuff. :)

Hee hee.  I wonder how badly the flames will fly for that one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version