March 28, 2024, 02:18:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Personal Definitions of Chemistry  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Personal Definitions of Chemistry
« on: April 27, 2004, 03:12:01 PM »
Invariably Chemistry always gets compared to Physics. Many chauvinistic particle physicist even claim Chemistry is just a branch of Physics. It's an obvious gross overstement, the aims of the 2 fields couldn't be more divergent. One field is obsessed with studying things, and the other is obsessed with making new things to study.

I'm just curious--what are your definitions of Chemistry?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 04:20:48 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Corvettaholic

Re:Personal Definitions of Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 04:14:18 PM »
My definition of chemistry is mixed in with physics to me, its under the same flag. On the chemistry side, you're looking at how stuff interacts on the atomic level and below, and physics is more on a macro scale and deals more with electromagnetics and such. I think they're linked together with a different focus of study. So stuff that I think has a more physics take on it (infrared for instance) goes into the general forum and stuff that deals more with atomic interaction goes into the chemistry forum. Just my .02

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 10:29:57 PM »
Chemistry mostly evolves around movement and changes in electron density in substances.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 02:08:51 AM »
Chemistry cool science that isn't lame like physics. ;)  I've heard that statement about chemistry being a branch of physics, but you could make the same statement about physics in an odd way.  Chemistry is just all the useful things you can do with science.  Physics is the useless stuff. :)

Hee hee.  I wonder how badly the flames will fly for that one!

Sponsored Links