March 28, 2024, 06:55:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heating Copper (II) carbonate  (Read 6107 times)

Offline zukjunkie13

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heating Copper (II) carbonate
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:38:58 AM »
I did a lab where i heated Copper (II) carbonate, and i determined that the mass decreases as it is heated, and am wondering if it reacts with just the oxygen in the air or with the nitrogen in the air too? Because i know when you heat Mg, it reacts with both the O2 and N2 in the air (mostly with the O2 though), so i am wondering if CuCO3 does the sort of the same thing. If so please tell me what would be produced when the CuCO3 reacts with the N2. and what i should include in my conclusion.

I already did the lab, and collected my data, but am thinking that the data i collected, ie mass before and after heating , is affected by if the CuCO3 reacts with not only the the O2 but the N2 as well.

Thanks

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Heating Copper (II) carbonate
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:57:22 AM »
You mean CuCO3 reacts with oxygen? ???
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline zukjunkie13

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 05:10:35 AM »
You mean CuCO3 reacts with oxygen? ???

i mean decomposes. ya my fingers were gettin ahead of my brain when i was typing it out. lol  so let me rephrase my question, now that i actually read what i wrote and realized it made no sense lol. sorry guys

does anything special happen when CuCO3 decomposes? or does it just decompse to CO2 and CuO?

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:48:44 AM »
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links