March 29, 2024, 02:58:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol?  (Read 6629 times)

Maria

Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol?
« on: May 11, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
Hi, I'm a spanish girl and I need your help because in my country there are many forums but nobody helps.  I don't speak well English, I'm sorry for this, my question is: Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol? Thank you, and please, answerme.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re:Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 09:31:14 PM »
Hello Maria,

As a general rule, inorganic compounds are often soluble in water, but much less soluble in other solvents such as alcohols.  Washing inorganic salts will: a) remove water in the inorganic salt, b) wash away very little inorganic salt (which may be your product from an experiment), c) can crystallize inorganic salts if a small amount of water is present, and d) will tend to dissolve organic salts leaving your inorganic salts with less contamination.

I hope this helps you out,

Sincerely,

Eugene Dakin Ph.D., P.Chem.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

GCT

Re:Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 02:23:30 PM »
Hi, I'm a spanish girl and I need your help because in my country there are many forums but nobody helps.  I don't speak well English, I'm sorry for this, my question is: Why do we wash inorganic salts with alcohol? Thank you, and please, answerme.

yeah, it's all part of a purification process.

Sponsored Links