April 19, 2024, 03:39:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can anyone explain how to do these questions?  (Read 3729 times)

Offline sneakerholic

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can anyone explain how to do these questions?
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »

1.) How many moles of ions are released when 0.27 moles of CoCl2 is dissolved in water?

The Cl would be broken down by the water so do measure out the percentage of Cl that is present and use the amount of Cl to determine the moles of ions?

Also,

2.) A 5.54-g sample of vinegar was neutralized by 30.10 mL of 0.100M NaOh. What is the precent (by weight) of acetic acid in the vinegar?
(Acetic acid is CH3COOH)

As for this question, I'm confused by the fact that the vinegar is in grams. Shouldnt the sample of vinegar be of a liquid measurement? I don't really know, I'm horrible at titration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Can anyone explain how to do these questions?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:08:54 AM »
Show your attempt.
1. hint - assume  a complete dissociation in water solution (not exactly correct)

2. Start from a balanced reaction
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Can anyone explain how to do these questions?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:54 AM »
2.) A 5.54-g sample of vinegar was neutralized by 30.10 mL of 0.100M NaOh. What is the precent (by weight) of acetic acid in the vinegar?
(Acetic acid is CH3COOH)

As for this question, I'm confused by the fact that the vinegar is in grams. Shouldnt the sample of vinegar be of a liquid measurement? I don't really know, I'm horrible at titration.

You are asked to give weight percentage, that means you need to calculate mass of acetic acid in the sample.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links