April 29, 2024, 02:39:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: R-CN reactions  (Read 5300 times)

Offline chynagrl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
R-CN reactions
« on: March 16, 2009, 11:15:27 AM »
Hi,

I am trying to work out a reaction of a carboxylic acid with DCC and CH3CN. I think it's supposed to produce an anhydride, but what is the mechanism for this? The only thing I can think of right now is that the DCC deprotonates the alcohol group on the carboxylic acid. Attached is a picture of what I have right now (sorry I don't have Chemdraw/chesketch/etc).

Thanks a bunch!
chynagrl ;)

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Dynamic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: R-CN reactions
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
You are probably trying to make an ester.  You also need a strong base (like 4-dimethylaminopyridine) for this to work well.  In the first step the DCC (dicyclohexylcarbodiimide) adds to the carboxylic acid and forms an intermediate compound.  The DCC part of the molecule is a good leaving group and produces dicyclohexyl urea and an ester in the presence of an alcohol and a strong base like 4-DMAP.  

I've even produced a t-butyl ester using t-butanol with this method.

edit.  By the way, from the title of your post it appears that you might be confused about the CH3CN which is a solvent in this reaction... not a reactant.  The dicyclohexyl urea is not very soluble in cold acetonitrile. 

Sponsored Links