April 23, 2024, 04:39:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do ions work?  (Read 7554 times)

Offline vixter101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do ions work?
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
Hi folks!

First time on this forum, and somewhat of a neophyte. I've been researching some health issues, and have a question about ions (for example, as present in certain foods) I don't quite get how ions work. For example, I've read about how hydroxide ions (OH-) and hydrogen ions (H+) combine to form water. Also, I've read that heating cooking oils separate atoms/molecules to produce ions, which are basically trans fats.

I don't understand because I was always under the impression that any atom always has an equal number of protons and electrons, thereby keeping it in balance. I can understand how ions can exist while attached to another ion, since this would be a balanced system (HO- and H+ balance each other when they are "attached"); but, can atoms exist as ions separated from other ions? For example, can an atom such as H+ exist on its own, i.e. floating around unattached to another (i.e. negative) ion??? In this case, an H+ atom has one proton and zero electrons??? Is this possible?

My query, to take it a step further, is this: If heating cooking oil separates it into charged ions, IN WHAT FORM DO THESE IONS EXIST??? Do they exist as separate, unattached entities? As I said, I've read that trans fats are basically ions and that, when eaten, these ions can attach to molecules/cells within the body (which can be bad for the body). Based on this, it seems that ions can exist unattached (i.e. floating around looking for another atom or molecule to attach itself to). But, as I've said, I thought an atom was, by necessity, a balanced system.

I hope my question is clear. I appreciate your kind assistance. And, please, dumb it down for me, as I really am a complete novice to chemistry. Thanks again so much for your *delete me*

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How do ions work?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »
Also, I've read that heating cooking oils separate atoms/molecules to produce ions, which are basically trans fats.

*SNIP*

As I said, I've read that trans fats are basically ions and that, when eaten, these ions can attach to molecules/cells within the body (which can be bad for the body). Based on this, it seems that ions can exist unattached (i.e. floating around looking for another atom or molecule to attach itself to).

These statements are simply incorrect.  You have been reading your reference too casually, or the reference is wrong.

But, as I've said, I thought an atom was, by necessity, a balanced system.

Generally, this is true.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links