March 29, 2024, 07:44:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PHD life what is it like  (Read 8330 times)

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PHD life what is it like
« on: March 14, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
Im considering doing a BS in chem, but only on the basis that I will do a PHD as well because I'd like to do R&D at a pharm company, I my dream job would be working with a team of chemists synthesizing organic compounds.

My interest lies in Organic Synthesis, I just love it. But are the stories true that you spend all your days and hours in the lab? What is the usual requirement for a PHD?
Is the base starting salary 60-80k? What is your life overall like meaning social life etc?

Thank you

Offline Shahbaz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Re: PHD life what is it like
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
If you are realy interested in chemistry then neither time is a limit not social life. Chemistry will pay for that.
If you are interested in 80k only then you should join some sort of managment or business line.

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
Hmm.. well i was under the impression that a PhD can only make 60-80k max.

I want to work for a pharm company, but I've heard that in your PHD it literally consumes your life. Spending 8 hours a day in lab. Like I just want someone to give me the truth as to what life is like on a day to day basis before like I commit myself and not be able to take it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Hmm.. well i was under the impression that a PhD can only make 60-80k max.

Wow, do you mean they limit how much someone can make now depending on their degree?

If PhDs make only 80k I wonder what degrees have those making more ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline James Newby

• Mole Snacks: +13/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
8 hours a day?? It depends where you work and there are horror stories of people working day and night, especially in organic synthesis.  Most people in the department where i am work from 8 til 6 with a half hour for lunch.

If you are truly set on organic synthesis you are likely to be working 9 until 6 minimum with a Saturday every month.  Basically a full time job.  Guys here go out most Fridays for a drink together.

Its a fantastic qualification to have, but its three years of solid work in an area that is very unforgiving.  Ive done a reaction synthesis for 2 months then lost my product and had to start again.

There are horror stories of some departments flogging students until they drop.  We were told about a department in USA that works people 8til8 Monday to sunday with a 2 hour break on sunday for washing/shopping
4th year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »
Getting a PhD is a full time job. Hard work. Requires a lot of effort.

There is a reason they are regarded so high, because they do not give them to everybody that wants one.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

There is a reason they are regarded so high, because they do not give them to everybody that wants one.

Unlike BSc.

Sponsored Links