April 24, 2024, 01:38:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis problem  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Cacoethes

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis problem
« on: March 19, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »
Gotta love em.  Ok, so I must provide two possible ways for the formation of the product using the following reagents as the only carbons sources.  Any other inorganic reagents are acceptable.

The carbon sources starting with are:

1). A benzene ring with a -CH2OH attached 2). ethanol.

The product must be formed is a benzene ring with a -CH2CH2CH2OCH2CH3 attached (i.e ether).

I apologize for not putting this as a picture, help would be greatly appreciated as I really havn't a clue of how to do this. 

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Synthesis problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Is this the structure below?  There is something called disconnection.  You look at the molecule and look for bonds that if broken, you would know how to reform.  Something that you should always look at are functional groups.  You already mentioned an ether, what ways have you learned to make them?  Can you propose a way to make the ether below, if you had any two compounds you wanted?

Offline Cacoethes

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
Well normally if I had anything to use I would simply use a williamson ether synthesis, but those pre-reqs make it complicated =/.  I've been pondering this for a while.  I know I can change the ethanol to a halide, but i'm just not sure what else to do.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »
Take it one step at a time, we'll get to the beginning, slowly working backwards.  So, if you had any two pieces you wanted, what two would you use to make the final ether?

Sponsored Links