April 19, 2024, 12:48:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solar panels  (Read 14511 times)

Corvettaholic

Solar panels
« on: April 27, 2004, 05:14:36 PM »
How do solar panels work? I know photons hit something and make something happen, but I have no idea what it is. My boss has chartered me to make him a solar powered laptop charger from scratch, cause he knows I like to invent things.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
Re:Solar panels
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 11:01:40 PM »
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 11:38:23 AM »
Very informative. So cuprous oxide is what you need that is photo sensitive, are there any good alternatives to that? It doesn't mention if density of the stuff matters, think it does? Cause I can bake copper sheets for a looooong time to get as much as I need.

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 01:12:59 PM »
The cuprous oxide forms into that other black oxide which is what you dont want, so if you want a better solar cell just use more sheets. I dont know what compounds are light sensitive like that but I'm sure there are more than one.
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Corvettaholic

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »
The amount of space it would take up would be ridiculous though. I could layer the sheets, the thing is that will block the sun... unless I use mirrors! Have one large opening into a box full of solar sheets, the whole doused in salt water, and focus light everywhere using mirrors. How does water affect light? I know it bends it, but will it screw up my plan?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 03:34:41 PM »
I know that selenium and selenium compounds tend to conduct electricity when they are exposed to light.  That's why they are used in photocopiers, motion detectors, etc. etc.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Corvettaholic

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »
I'll have to look into selenium for cost and see how well it works as opposed to cuprous oxide. I've recently taken a great interest in "green" power generation, cheaply. Any good pointers on where I can find photovoltaic info about it?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 08:44:02 AM »
Unless we have v efficieint solar panels, i think solar powered laptops are still distant from reality. Solar powered PDAs are definitely much more viable given its much lower power consumption & the outdoor nature of its usage. Who would want to use a laptop in the hot sun?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 02:37:07 PM »
There are plenty of commercial packages that recharge  your laptop battery using solar energy... in fact I remember seeing one sold about 5 years ago.  They also have solar panels for your dashboard to continuously recharge your car battery, if you have some kind of unknown drain on it.
I've got nothin'

Corvettaholic

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 03:26:57 PM »
I was thinking of getting my "solar box" project going (as opposed to the bigger power plant idea, boxes are cheaper) and charging some deep cycle batteries. That way, I could use those for stereo power for night time parties.

Sponsored Links