March 29, 2024, 07:51:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Manufacture of NaOH  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Las

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Manufacture of NaOH
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »
For the manufacture of NaOH I learnt in school that we use a graffite anode...Because it is not attacked by Cl2. ie. because its not very reactive.

But in the edexcel syllabus it says a Titanium anode is used. Why and how they havent really specified.

I think we can use both because even Ti wont be attacked by Cl2..

Am I right?And may I know which one is better and why? (I have to use Ti anyway cause that's what the syllabus says)

Offline Las

Re: Manufacture of NaOH
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
I think I figured why the local syllabus says graffite and the london syllabus says Ti..We have 99% pure graffite here in Sri Lanka..and its easier and cheaper than Ti I guess..

So maybe we use graffite in Sri Lanka..And in the UK they use Titanium..Possible right?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
Ti electrodes are much more expensive, but they will hold for much longer. So the cost can be a reason as well.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Loyal

• Mole Snacks: +7/-5
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:58:47 AM »
I actually got to interview someone who was a manager at a chemical plant that produced sodium hydroxide for a project a while back.   They said they often settle for slightly less efficient rods that last longer (Ti in this case) because the shipping costs alone just kill anyone who isn't sitting near a graphite mine. 
Chemistry Student(Senior) at WSU

Offline Las

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:28:47 AM »
We export graphite and it is said that the world's highest quality graphite is found here..so,makes perfect sense..Thanks guys:) I didnt know that Ti lasts longer though..

Sponsored Links