March 28, 2024, 09:16:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which amine is the weakest base?  (Read 16378 times)

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Which amine is the weakest base?
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:28:20 AM »
Hello Organic Chemists,

Would someone please shed some light on this question for me? I have done most of the leg work but I am stuck between two choices

Which amine is the weakest base?

1.  CH3CH2NH2                       5.6 x 10-4           pKb = 3.2       STRONG BASE
2.  (CH3)2NH                          5.1 x 10-4            pKb = 3.3       STRONG BASE
3.  C6H5CH2NH2    (benzyl amine)                        pKb = 4.67      STRONG BASE
4.  C6H5NH2         (Aniline)                                 pKb = 9.42      WEAK BASE
5.  C6H5CH2NHCH3  (N-methyl benzyl amine)     ???

Now I know that arylamines are weaker bases than alkylamines, therefore 1,2 are eliminated.
My issue is between 4,5.  I am leaning toward Aniline being the weakest bast, however I have researched N-methyl benzyl amine extensively and I can't find out about it. 

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

I would be so grateful and thank you for your time.

Newtoatoms

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Which amine is the weakest base?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:23:22 AM »
You should not need pkb information for this (in fact it's a crutch).  You should be able to evaluate these compounds qualitatively.  I imagine that's actually what this problem is expecting as well.

What is the difference between aniline and N-methyl benzyl amine?  How does this group (think about sterics, resonance and induction) affect the resulting cation that forms when the nitrogen takes a proton?

Offline NewtoAtoms

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
Hello macman,

Steric hinderance decreases nucleophile strength and increases base strength.

Therefore if I were to compare the structures and their substitutents, without comparing Pkb values I would conclude:

H
         l
C6H5-N:             Aniline
         l               less sterically hindered
         H

H
          l
C6H5 - N            N-methyl benzyl amine   
          l              more sterically hindered
       HCH
         H

Because N-methyl benzyl amine is more sterically hindered it is the stronger base, because "Steric hinderance decreases nucleophile strength and increases base strength"

I find this very confusing, and I have tried to understand it here, am I at all correct?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
N-methyl benzyl amine should be more basic, but not because of steric hindrance.  Think about inductive effects.  Which way is the dipole in the C-N bond of the methyl group?  Does that increase or decrease electron density, and how does that affect the stability of a positive charge on the nitrogen (when it acts as a base).

Sponsored Links