April 25, 2024, 08:59:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calssifying stereoisomers of Menthol  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Kobsessed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Calssifying stereoisomers of Menthol
« on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:47 PM »
Ok soI have this worksheet showing 4 isomers of menthole. 1) (-) menthol, 2) (+) menthol, 3) (+) isomenthol, and 4) (+)neo menthol.

I have to determine what each pair is. a) Identical b) Enantiomer c) Not related d) Diastereomer e) Constitutional isomer

1&2:

1&3:

1&4:

2&3:

2&4:

3&4:

I don't think any of these are constitutional isomers, they can't be identical because they have different configurations in space. I'm thinking all of them are Diastereomers since they are not mirror images but just have the atoms arranged in different space. But I'm pretty sure I'm wrong because surely I'm missing out on something here.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Calssifying stereoisomers of Menthol
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:24:02 AM »
You might want to have a look through the definitions of the various types of isomerism, at e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Isomer&oldid=272418794 ?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
Search wikipedia for menthol
AWK

Offline Kobsessed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
Ok so today we did a TLC test on (+) and (-) menthol and (+) neomenthol. The (-) and (+) menthol had the same Rf values while the other did not. These were all on the same plate. So according to my text this would be mean (-) menthol and (+) menthol are identical stereoisomers right?

One thing for sure though is that none of these are constitutional isomers and they are in fact "related" so the Not Related option won't be needed either right?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:08:36 AM »
Though Rf values mean almost nothing (thousands of compounds can show the same Rf)it is a fact that both enantiomers (+ and  -menthols) should show the same Rf.
AWK

Sponsored Links