April 28, 2024, 10:46:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seperating A Mixture Of Hydrocabons  (Read 5914 times)

Offline crichtonracing

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Seperating A Mixture Of Hydrocabons
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I hope that someone can help me with my question. I'm doing this chemistry program all on my own and I truly feel lost. It's quite upsetting, because I really want to do well on this assignment and as of right now I know I'm going to bomb it. Anyways here's the question:

Design a laboratory setup that would enable you to separate a mixture of three hydrocarbons with different boiling points. Explain the reasons for the apparatus you would need in your setup. Draw and label a diagram of your setup, and develop the procedure you will use to separate the hydrocarbons.

First off, what hydrocarbons should I use, does it even matter? Explain the reasons...I wouldn't even know what to use, I've never done this before. I'm so lost, can anyone give me some guidance.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Seperating A Mixture Of Hydrocabons
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

Dear crichtonracing;

Separation by Boiling point  =   Distillation:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation  

You may use different "Alkanes".

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline lucas89

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
  • Aspiring Chemist.
Re: Seperating A Mixture Of Hydrocabons
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
Ah you beat me to it! Yeah, use three alkanes/alkenes/basically any hydrocarbon in liquid form, or possibly even solid. Just make sure their boiling points are somewhat different, but not too extreme (temperatures able to be reached in a lab) and you can just use simple distillation. It's easy, cheap, and effective. For better purity, you can even suggest doing a fractional distillation ;).

Sponsored Links