March 29, 2024, 04:08:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what molarity of HCl is "dangerous"  (Read 22032 times)

WashableMarker

what molarity of HCl is "dangerous"
« on: May 15, 2005, 06:37:12 PM »
Hey there. First-time poster, long-time chemistry fan.

We did a simple acid-base titration in class, with a solution of 0.10 mol/L NaOH, and a solution of HCl of unknown concentration. Through calculations of how much NaOH neutralizes however much HCl, I've found the molairty of the HCl solution to be ~0.05mol/L, give or take because of my own errors in getting NaOH-happy.

Anyways, this isn't as much of a calculation question as a theory question [my weakness, of course]. The premise of the lab was that the HCl solution was found beside the "victim", and could this solution at this strength, be the cause of his death? I don't know what molarity of HCl is "dangerous", but I assume it's not horrible since a bunch of grade 11 chemistry students were allowed to play with it.

So, any online references [ie. websites] you can give me to support or disown my theory, or any facts you can contribute would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:03:04 PM by Mitch »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Re:Cause of death?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »
I very much doubt that concentration of HCl could be dangerous, I imagine that is actually more dilute than stomach acid (also HCl).

Certainly it couldn't be dangerous be skin contact, I have gotten the entire of my lower body covered one time, with around 4 gallons of 2.5M HCl, and no consequences occured (apart from reeking like a pit full of vinegar for the best part of a day, and having the clothes I was wearing utterly ruined)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

WashableMarker

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 06:47:35 PM »
Ahh, thank you! I can finally give some sort of evidence if I find the concentration of stomach acid online. Thanks  :)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 09:36:37 PM »
I am getting varying figures online, about the molarity of stomach acid.

.01M
0.100M
0.10M
0.8M

There is a lot of misinformation out there, but either way, the acid you mention is fairly dilute, and I wouldnt THINK it would prove fatal, the stomach lining would protect against the acid, except perhaps, if the throat were perforated by long-standing contact with the HCl, or the vapours inhaled, causing pulmonary oedema.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:44:34 AM »
Concentration of HCl in stomach is not constant.
The parietal cells in the stomach secrete hydrochloric acid at a concentration of about 0.155 M HCl, then it is diluted by food and water and its normal concentration is between 0.01 and 0.0001
AWK

Sponsored Links