April 29, 2024, 12:42:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effect of adding Acetic Acid on Conductivity  (Read 8385 times)

Offline jha_ashutosh

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Effect of adding Acetic Acid on Conductivity
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »
Hi there,
           I was working with a solution have some chemicals.
           I tried to adjust the conductivity of the solution which was initially coming 1566 us. I did two different experiments. I took 2 , 100 ml sample of this solution. In one 100 ml sample I added NaOH which as was expected increased the conductivity of the solution. But when I did addition of Acetic Acid on other 100ml sample the conductivity instead of going up went down. I understand its a week electrolyte but still with the addition of acetic acid there should have been increase in the conductivity.
           I will appreciate your's input..

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Effect of adding Acetic Acid on Conductivity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
What was initial composition of the solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
So as I understand it, you had an unknown weak electrolyte, you added a weak electrolyte, and you got less conductivity.  But that didn't happen before, when you added NaOH.  Can you think of an important difference between NaOH and acetic acid, besides that NaOH is a strong conductor, to give you a hint of what happened?  Or do I have it wrong, was there no initial weak electrolyte present?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 07:54:14 PM »

Dear Arkcon;

According to the pictures in the link below, there are more then only one (- the one you have in mind) situation possible:

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline clustro

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:47 AM »
Well, there is always the possibility of a chemical reaction occurring that reduces the total number of ions.

Adding the acetic acid may adjust your pH speciation profile to a regime where there are fewer ions. If you do not know what I am talking about, look at this chart:

http://www.rockware.com/assets/products/132/gallery/uranyl_speciation_ph_slide_in_presence_of_phosphate_a.jpg

It displays the concentrations of various ions in a solution of some chemical as a function of pH.

Look at how there are virtually no ions at pH > 7. This could be the case with your liquid.

All the best.

Sponsored Links