April 29, 2024, 01:26:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is polyvinyl acetate resistant to DCM?  (Read 4413 times)

Offline jabbawok

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is polyvinyl acetate resistant to DCM?
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Looking at several of the chemical resistant glove guides, most list polyvinyl alcohol gloves as the safest choice when working with dichloromethane. But I found a couple that list PVAc gloves as being the best. I'm wondering whether they've just got mixed up with the two polymers being commonly abbreviated as PVA. Can anyone confirm polyvinyl acetate is resistant to DCM?

Thanks,
Dave.

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Is polyvinyl acetate resistant to DCM?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »
Are you concerned about DCM on your skin? I've worked with it a lot and never worried about gloves--it evaporates quite quickly and dries the skin out, but it's nothing to be concerned about.

PVA ought to resist--there are numerous glove guides on the web though so check to be sure.

What type of work are you doing with DCM?
Neither flask nor beaker.

Offline jabbawok

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Is polyvinyl acetate resistant to DCM?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »
No I'm not really worried about getting it on my skin. And yes I checked the "glove guides" but as I mentioned the accepted material seems to be polyvinyl alcohol. However a couple state polyvinyl acetate and also nitrile gloves as well.

But I just found this:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=3594&page=14
and they say polyvinyl acetate is recommended for both DCM and chloroform.

I'm doing a couple of experiments where I need to seal a custom built apparatus from the DCM, and was thinking of trying to use PVA (acetate) as the seal since it's easy to get (wood glue).

Sponsored Links