April 29, 2024, 01:33:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Another fun mole question...  (Read 7880 times)

Offline noiseordinance

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Another fun mole question...
« on: April 04, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
Ok, I got another mole question, but phrased in a different way and I'm drawing blanks here...

Menthol (M = 156.3 g/mol), a strong-smelling substance used in cough drops, is a compound of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. When 0.1595g of menthol was subjected to combustion analysis, it produced 0.449g of CO2 and 0.184g H2O. What is menthol's molecular formula?

So, I trying to add the CO2 and H2O and it doesn't add up to 0.1595g, so I have a feeling I'm missing something from the equation. Now, if I recall correctly, combustion requires oxygen, so would oxygen be the factor that isn't mentioned in this problem?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Another fun mole question...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Yes.  Calculate the moles of water and co2 produced first.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:12 PM »
You will have to write a balanced chemical equation for the combustion reaction first.  You've got it right, the oxygen in the air is a reactant.  But remember, menthol provides some of the oxygen for the products, you won't know how to account for all reactants and products with pot balancing.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline noiseordinance

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Hehe, I'm not sure I'm grasping it yet... (on a side note, why do instructors only do the easy problems during lectures? :P ) Anyways... I'm not sure how to write a balanced chemical equation since I don't know the ratio on either side of the equation. I'm guessing it looks something like this:

_CH2O3 + _O2 -----> _CO2 + _H2O

Now, I'm guessing that menthol is CH2O3 in the first place, but really I have no clue... Argh! LOL

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:26:21 PM »
Oops, I didn't think that through.  You can't write a proper chemical equation without a formula.  Heh.  It's late, over here.  Anyway, you've done a good job guessing a formula.  Now, you've got grams of carbon dioxide and water.  How many moles of each is that?  The carbon and hydrogen come from menthol, so can you figure out what multiples of carbon and hydrogen you need?  The balance is oxygen, but that you'll figure out later.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline noiseordinance

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
Ok, so I figure out the moles of carbon dioxide and water...

0.449g CO2 / 44.0g = 0.0102 moles
0.184g H2O / 18.0g = 0.0102 moles

I still don't think I know where to go from here. I'm guessing empirically speaking, there will be equal parts CO2 and H2O as the products since they both seem to output the same amount of moles...

Thanks for the help, btw.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:28:45 AM »
What is mass of carbon in produced CO2?

What is mass of hydrogen in produced H2O?

By how much original sample was heavier?

Assume this diference to be oxygen - you were told there are no other elements in the compound.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline noiseordinance

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
Ok, so can I just take 0.449g of carbon dioxide and 0.184g of water and add them together (0.633g) and then subtract the original 0.1595g of menthol to get the amount of oxygen required, in this case, 0.4735g? Am I thinking this correctly? Argh...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:07:38 AM »
Ok, so can I just take 0.449g of carbon dioxide and 0.184g of water and add them together (0.633g) and then subtract the original 0.1595g of menthol to get the amount of oxygen required, in this case, 0.4735g? Am I thinking this correctly? Argh...

No. Answer EXACTLY questions I have asked.

Not mass of carbon dioxide, but mass of carbon in carbon dioxide.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links