April 18, 2024, 12:32:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Paraffin oil  (Read 12637 times)

Offline cmquer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Paraffin oil
« on: April 05, 2009, 06:10:02 AM »
I want to know the flash point and the auto-ignition point(if any) of the paraffin oil. There is much information on the Internet but most of them make me confused.
Thank you.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Paraffin oil
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »

Dear cmquer;

Why not use this reference:
           http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point#Examples_of_flash_points 

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline cmquer

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:41:32 AM »

Dear cmquer;

Why not use this reference:
           http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point#Examples_of_flash_points 

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Thank you for your answering. As I pointed out, there is much confused information flooding on the Internet and I don't know which one is correct. Wiki states that the flash point >38–72°C, however, follow the link http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p0143.htm, which is the MSDS for paraffin oil, the flash point is stated as 193°C.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »

Dear cmquer;

These discrepancies in Flp may be caused, that paraffin oil is not a pure matter, but a distillate from the petrol industries with variable compositions. Therefore the Flp depends very strong on the "lowest Flp-" component, and on the method too (open/closed cup, etc.).
Examples: Flp of Nonane ~+31°C (Bp. ~152°C) // Undecane Flp. ~60°C (Bp. ~200°C)

But if auto ignition reported, then most note a temperature of 220°C and a little above.
(I checked more than 20 MSDS’s.)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 10:11:44 AM »
In a situation like this, you should use the MSDS provided by the manufacturer/vendor, because it matches their product mixture's formulation.  When you purchased the paraffin oil, they may have included the MSDS, in the packing material, tucked into the invoice envelope that's glued to the box, or you vendor may fax it to you -- when you order it, when they ship it, or when you request it.  The vendor may also have an online website, that you can search by catalog number to be sure you match the bottle in your hand, to the values you need.  Once you have the MSDS, you should file it, in a binder, where you and everyone around you can get it, whenever they need it, for safety.  This may already have been done.

Now, maybe you don't know where you've gotten your paraffin oil.  Maybe you can't reach the vendor.  Maybe they're a fly-by-night agency, and when you get in contact with them they go, "Huh, you want a 'miz-es-des'?  Who's she?  She doesn't work here."  And just to curl you hair a bit, maybe they report it's flash point as 193 C, and you dutifully heat it in an open cup to 80 C, and then one *woosh* sound later, you've made a refuting observation.  Their lawyers will cut you, or your estate, a check, and it's business as usual.  That can, and does happen, even the people who should, don't always know everything.  When you're a chemist, if you want to live long, it's up to you to be extra careful.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »
Ah, I see, this is a homework question, from over here:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=32564.0;topicseen

and not a self-help question.  Crossposting sucks, cmquer:.  If you have multi-part questions, you should try to consolidate them into one post, or re-post to you own thread, like I've just done. :)
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline OHSadvisor

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »
I have been using an Online system called CHEMWATCH. They provide online MSDS. Although recently i have been made aware that they DO NOT use the manufacturer's MSDS for reference and pretty much "make up" the information. BE WARNED!

This paraffin oil made me consult several references and I have come to the understanding that the best way to find the answer to your Paraffin oil question is to go to the original manufacturer/importer. That is by far the best way to get the info you require.

SP.

Sponsored Links