April 16, 2024, 10:38:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about a heating mantle  (Read 4967 times)

Offline mark-sev

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about a heating mantle
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »
I found some old heating mantle (it's in a box), but it is small like for 200ml flask...i would like to use it for a 500ml flask...i exactly don't know how the heating "coils" are oriented...basicly it look like a white net out of some probably fire proff textile...Well my question is, could i enlarge it by pressing at the bottom part of this half-sphere, pressing it upwards and cuting a bit of the textile at the top so that it could than "receive" a bigger flask....without damaging the heating part of the equipment....basicly i don't know where the heating wire is usually situated..Has anyone got any experience with this sort of equipment.
I hope that someone will understand what i have written hehe  ;)..

Offline newbiedummy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Question about a heating mantle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:01:41 AM »
I'm new (both to here and to chemistry) but I have looked at heating mantles and I don't think that would work too well. Those heating mantles seem to me to be made just for the size they are meant for. You could probably go from large to small but I'm not sure about small to large like you are saying. IMO.

Offline seker2k

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:27:40 PM »
I found some old heating mantle (it's in a box), but it is small like for 200ml flask...i would like to use it for a 500ml flask...i exactly don't know how the heating "coils" are oriented...basicly it look like a white net out of some probably fire proff textile...Well my question is, could i enlarge it by pressing at the bottom part of this half-sphere, pressing it upwards and cuting a bit of the textile at the top so that it could than "receive" a bigger flask....without damaging the heating part of the equipment....basicly i don't know where the heating wire is usually situated..Has anyone got any experience with this sort of equipment.
I hope that someone will understand what i have written hehe  ;)..

I would not cut it.

Not sure if you know as well, you use a controller to control the heat/voltage of the heating mantle, if you plug it right into a wall it will heat to max (could be 450c or so depending on the mantle)

Offline mark-sev

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
I know i would cut the cable, i would cut just the fiberglass textile that the heating cable is in...now i looked at it closer and the heating cable is held be some fiberglass textile or something like that. so probably it would be okay i think

Sponsored Links