March 29, 2024, 02:05:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: products of Copper Sulfate & Acetic Acid?  (Read 9543 times)

Offline asanthai

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
products of Copper Sulfate & Acetic Acid?
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:43 PM »
I've not been able to find anything on this anywhere. The other day, fiddling around in the darkroom I mixed a pretty strong Copper Sulfate solution with ~90% acetic acid solution (Kodak Indicator Stop bath - it's glacial acetic acid with a yellow indicator that turns purple when the pH rises). The result was a light green crystal in a dark green liquid. Does anyone know what the products of this reaction are? My best guess was Copper acetate and Sulfuric acid, but I don't think that's right (it's been 5 years since I took AP chemistry).

background:
I've read that a solution of Copper Sulfate in Sulfuric Acid will bleach developed silver from film and photographic paper, something I'd like to experiment with. However, I don't have access to sulfuric acid, so I tried the first thing i found. I'm not any sort of science major, I'm an art major, so my access to raw chemicals consists of those used for ceramics (silicas and salts, usually carbonates, oxides, and sulfates) and printmaking (nitric acid, tannic acid, alcohol, etc)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: products of Copper Sulfate & Acetic Acid?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:55 AM »
Copper acetate doesn't sound impossible. Could also be some more complicated salt, including copper acetate complex.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links