April 27, 2024, 02:34:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyanide/H2S emergency kits...  (Read 5891 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Cyanide/H2S emergency kits...
« on: May 13, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »
I am thinking of running a test reaction some time, that involves H2S gas beeing given off, and one of the products is benzyl cyanide, so, in addition to a new filter for my gas mask, I am going to require an emergency treatment kit for cyanide and H2S toxicity.

Usually, the kit comprises 300mg/ml sodium thiosulfate syringes, prepacked as ready to use units, and an additional syringe containing sodium nitrite solution, as well as an ampoule or bottle of amyl nitrite, of which, on exposure to cyanides or H2S, is opened, and the vapour inhaled.

I am in this case, using 2-butyl nitrite, as I already have a bottle, but am unsure of the amount of thiosulfate to make up into solution, could someone perhaps enlighten me as to what concentration is typically used to treat cyanide/H2S poisoning?

Of course, I do not intend on exposure to the BzCN, or indeed, leakage of H2S from hte reaction, it will ALL be scrubbed into a tank of ammonia, to give the sulfide, and any escaping, will be drawn into a tank of H2O2, preventing escape of so much as a milliliter of H2S, I just wish to have the correct precations and treatment available in case of accident.

Thanks.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:Cyanide/H2S emergency kits...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:04:34 AM »
Something you'd really like is the 9th edition of the Merck Index.  The back of it has an appendix that lists antidotes and treatments to most known poisons.  It's pretty cool, but they probably quit publishing it with the book because of liability.  I'm not sure what other editions have it, but I know the 9th does.  The 12th and 13th do not.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 04:04:51 AM by hmx9123 »

Sponsored Links