March 28, 2024, 04:08:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aldol Condensation  (Read 21754 times)

Offline keleline

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Aldol Condensation
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
I'm doing a lab report for my ochem class and I'm not sure I fully understand how to obtain the products by writing the mechanism.

I'm using Piperonaldehyde + acetophenone ----> [ aldol ] ---> -H2O ----> 3,4-methylenedioxychalcone

My question is how do I draw the final structure 3,4-methylenedioxychalcone in its cis form? And why is the trans form the only one that is obtained?

And, if I were using H-NMR, how could I determine if I have the trans isomer rather than the cis isomer? I know it has to do with coupling, but could you explain it to me?

Thank you for your help

Offline gfunk

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
Re: Aldol Condensation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »
I love Aldol.  Anyhow, out of your two starting materials, which one has the only enolizable protons?  That compound will then perform a nucleophilic attact on the most electrophilic center of the other molecule (where is it?).  That's the Aldol addition.

From there, there's a formal removal of water -- the condensation.  This leaves behind a double bond.

Do you know what the product looks like?  As for cis vs. trans, draw out the transition state and observe.

As for determination by 1H-NMR, yes, you'd measure the coupling constants of the splitting pattern (in Hz).  Cis protons will be from 6 to 12 Hz (typically 10 Hz), and trans protons will be from 12 to 18 Hz (typically 17 Hz).
Grad Student - Organic Chemistry
University of Alberta

Offline keleline

Cis isomer from Aldol Condensation
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
I figured out how the reaction goes between Piperonal and acetophenone looks.  I still need help figuring out how to draw the cis isomer and I know how the trans isomer looks since that is the only one that is produced.

I have attached a picture of the equation of aldol condensation. Can someone please show me how the cis isomer of the product would look?

Thank you

Offline Squirmy

• Mole Snacks: +24/-7
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
Check out this Wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_isomerism

The pics of cis-2-butene and trans-2-butene should help

Offline keleline

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »
 ;D I think my brain was momentarily fried. I got it, thank you for the visual!!

Sponsored Links