April 16, 2024, 07:58:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Formula Units  (Read 31799 times)

Offline noiseordinance

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Formula Units
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
Ok, I've done searches and have looked in two different chem books and I can't find anything that seems clear to me. Is a formula unit the same thing as an atom or molecule? For instance... a single formula unit of KI is just a single molecule of KI right?

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Formula Units
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 12:20:50 AM »
Strictly speaking, the appropriate term for KI should be formula unit and not molecular formula because KI is an ionic compound.

Check this out: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_formula_unit_and_a_molecular_formula
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline noiseordinance

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »
LOL, it's funny you linked that. That's actually one of the things I tried to read but I still didn't and don't get it...

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »
a single formula unit of KI is just a single molecule of KI right?
As mentioned, KI is not a covalent compound, thus it can't be considered as a molecule. So this is where the term formula unit comes in useful for ionic compound. Is that what you are confused on?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline noiseordinance

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »
OOOoooooooohhh, ok, I get it. Covalents are considered molecules but ionics are not. That makes sense. I never knew that. So any time we have polyatomic ions, they are referred to as FU instead of molecules, is that right?

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »
Yep, but don't forget most polyatomic ion itself is covalently bonded.

Sponsored Links