April 24, 2024, 02:43:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CpNi(PPh3)C≡C-C(CH3)2OH vs CpNi(PPh3)C≡CPh  (Read 5988 times)

Offline cloudsymph

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CpNi(PPh3)C≡C-C(CH3)2OH vs CpNi(PPh3)C≡CPh
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
hey everyone

i've been trying to figure out why when the CpNi(PPh3)C≡C-C(CH3)2OH reacts with Co2(CO)8 the whole molecule decomposes and why when CpNi(PPh3)C≡CPh reacts with Co2(CO)8 it actually forms the complex {CpNi(PPh3)C-CPh}{Co2(CO)6}.

i've been doing alot of researching (well the best that i could on google) and i've been reading my lab demonstrators (Jim Simpson and John McAdam) research papers.  but to no luck.  though the papers i am reading help with my report it doesn't touch on details concerning this matter.

i think that it may have something to do with the O-H...pi interactions with the C≡C of adjacent molecules, but that's about all i can really figure at the moment.

so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Dolphinsiu

• Mole Snacks: +3/-7
Re: CpNi(PPh3)C≡C-C(CH3)2OH vs CpNi(PPh3)C≡CPh
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:42:20 AM »
Do you know the purpose of adding [Co2(CO)8] ??

Offline cloudsymph

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:02:41 AM »
in all honesty no.  the most i can make out of it from the papers is that my professor wanted to see the stability of the product once reacted with the Co2(CO)8 and also the electrochemical properties of the molecules.

i don't think we need to delve too much into the details in that respect but need to propose an idea why the compound with the C≡CMe2OH breaks down when it reacts (i know that it produces acetone when it decomposes).  and why the molecule containing C≡CPh doesn't decompose.

we've been left quite in the dark about alot of things for this lab report we need to do. T_T

Offline Dolphinsiu

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:10:23 AM »
Actually I am thinking the reaction between alkyne in your given reactant and Co complexes is migratory insertion...

Offline Dolphinsiu

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »
Actually this problem is related to organometallic chemistry. You may refer to the following document.

Offline cloudsymph

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »
thanks for the reading material.

yeah it's my organomatellics paper that i'm going atm.  kind of for got to mention that's what it's for.

but again thanks for the papers to read.

Sponsored Links