April 18, 2024, 08:13:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Precipitation Problem  (Read 7455 times)

Offline 113zami

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Precipitation Problem
« on: April 15, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
I took a chem test on line and guessed on this problem and got it right.. but when I reviewed it now .. I don't understand it

http://mysowar.wordpress.com/files/2009/04/percipetate.jpg

First of all I don't understand where it says :

This sequence shows (assuming equal anion concentrations, as must be done here) that PbCO3 is less soluble than PbI2, and PbI2 is less soluble than PbSO4.

How can we make the above assumption when we don't know how fast each precipitate precipitated compared to the others ?

I also don't understand
if PBCO3 is less soluble than PBI2 and PBSO4.. how can Co3(2-) be the first to precipitate ?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:57:40 PM by 113zami »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Precipitation Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:13:07 AM »
How can we make the above assumption when we don't know how fast each precipitate precipitated compared to the others ?

Based on the composition of solutions used.

I also don't understand
if PBCO3 is less soluble than PBI2 and PBSO4.. how can Co3(2-) be the first to precipitate ?

I don't understand what you don't understand. How do you expect more soluble salt to precipitate first and leave less soluble salt inthe solution? It doesn't make logical sense.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Precipitation Problem
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 04:53:23 AM »
The sequence of reaction is not correct. The highest solubility show PbI2, not PbSO4.
AWK

Sponsored Links