April 27, 2024, 10:19:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titanium riddle  (Read 8186 times)

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
Titanium riddle
« on: May 18, 2005, 05:49:50 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post to chemicalforums.

I'm a hobby chemist, and one experiment really puzzles me. I dissolved some titanium metal in hydrochloric acid and that gives a blue/purple titanium (III) solution. This dissolving of titanium metal is very slow, even in conc. HCl.

In order to speed up the process I tried dissolving the metal in a solution, containing some HF. I read that with some HF in the solution the metal dissolves much faster. Indeed, the metal dissolves MUCH faster, even with only 10% HCl.
However, to my surprise, a green liquid is obtained instead of a purple liquid and that was NOT mentioned in the text on dissolving titanium metal. On partial oxidation of this green compound, a brown compound is formed (I think it is a mixed valence titanium III/IV complex). On complete oxidation a colorless solution is obtained, most likely a colorless titanium (IV) complex.

I googled around quite a lot, trying to find more info on this reaction. The only thing I could find is mention of a very stable titanium (IV) complex, TiF6(2-), which however is colorless.

The complete experiment and questions are given at the URL below.

http://www.woelen.nl/chem/Ti+F/Ti+F.htm

I already posted the same question to google groups sci.chem and I had a lot of replies, but not an answer to my question.

I ask this question here, just out of curiousity.

If anyone has a clue, I would be pleased to read about that.

Afterwards I did another experiment. I prepared a blue solution of titanium (III) with 30% HCl and some titanium metal. I diluted this blue solution and then I added a small amount of NaF. After adding the NaF, the purple liquid quickly turns light green. On adding a small amount of Na2S2O8, the liquid becomes brown and with shaking it becomes colorless.

Thanks.

PS1: If you want to repeat the experiment, please be careful. I only used small amounts of NaF in 10% HCl, because HF is REALLY nasty. When dilute HCl is used with small amounts of NaF, then hardly any HF is released from the liquid.

PS2: The chemicals used are of good quality. HCl is reagent grade and the titanium metal is of purity 99.9+ %.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Garneck

Re:Titanium riddle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 02:25:15 AM »
Wild guess: titanium forms a purple complex with chloride ions and a green complex with fluoride ions?

Offline woelen

• Chemist
    • Science made alive
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 05:46:40 AM »
Wild guess: titanium forms a purple complex with chloride ions and a green complex with fluoride ions?
The blue/purple color is known to be due to [Ti(H2O)6]3+.
The green color probably will be a complex with fluoride ions, but which complex? There might also be chloride ions involved in the complex. And what about the brown color? The brown color most likely is a mixed valence complex, containing Ti(III), Ti(IV), F(-I) and maybe Cl(-I), but this is just my educated guess.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
    • Science made alive
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 05:49:37 AM »
[Ti(H2O)6]3+.

Wow, the formula layout system is running wild with formulas containing []. I meant [Ti(H2O)6](3+).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 07:03:52 AM »
I already posted the same question to google groups sci.chem and I had a lot of replies, but not an answer to my question.

I was sure I have seen it before :)

Welcome aboard!
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links