April 17, 2024, 09:24:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bi --> with other metals  (Read 6372 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Bi --> with other metals
« on: May 18, 2005, 06:39:43 PM »
I have rephrased this question. The revised version is the 5th post.

I was looking at periodic table and Bi (Bismuth), which is the last element with a stable isotope, has an oxidation number of -3. Bismuth would bond with other metals that have + oxidation numbers. Getting to the point; If it bonded with another metal would it still be called an alloy?
Alloys are metals that are mixed together since most metals won't bond with each other because they both have + oxidation numbers; correct. Bi will bond with say iron though. Is it still called an alloy.

P.S. This question excludes Sn (Tin) and Pb (Lead) because they generally elect to give up there electrons according to a teacher I had.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 03:59:14 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Bi --> with other metals
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:12:39 PM »
i cant understand what you are talking about. Please rephrase.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 06:46:22 AM »
alloys are a mixture, hence u dont need bonds.

remember that metals are generally positive ions in a sea of electrons.

hence when metals get together, they dont bond but instead mix together.

if a metal manages to bond, using their own valence electrons, then its no longer an alloy.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 11:33:32 AM »
Most alloys are created from metals in their "elemental" form, meaning that all of the constituents have an oxidation number of 0.  They are not positive ions in an alloy.  An ion implies that there is an excess of an electron (anion) or an electron deficiency (cation).  If a steel alloy suddenly had iron change oxidation state (for example rusting), then the structure of the alloy would likely be destroyed and the metal would form either a salt or an oxide depending on what changed the oxidation state.

Don't know if that answers anything.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:57:46 PM »
Ok. Rephrased what I'm asking is:
Most of the metals don't bond with each other do to their oxidation numbers. Bi has a - oxidation  number and the other metals have + ones. This means that they should bond ionically. This excludes lead and tin.

Bismuth can bond to most of the metals ionically. Would you still call it a metal alloy or just a molecule.
Ex.
2Bi + 3Fe --> Bi2Fe3

This reaction could occur theoritically. Would you still call it a metal alloy even though alloys are only metals that have been mixed or is it considered something else.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 05:22:43 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links