March 29, 2024, 01:52:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How does electronegativity affect the strength of an acid?  (Read 54278 times)

Offline a_huynh00

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
How does electronegativity affect the strength of an acid?
« on: April 17, 2009, 12:10:51 AM »
My book says that more oxygen because of its electronegativity increases the strength of an acid. For example HClO is a weak acid compared to HClO4.

Is it because the oxygen attracts the H more to the oxygen thus the H has a weak bond to the rest of the atom. So it ionizes easier to break up like a strong acid?

I'm confused.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: How does electronegativity affect the strength of an acid?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:24:32 AM »
The increased dipole moment caused by the electronegative oxygens pulls electron density away from the hydrogen, which has a low electronegativity.  This makes the hydrogen more prone to dissociate.  The other factor that increases acidity is resonance stability of the conjugate base - I'll go into this if you've discussed resonance before.

Offline a_huynh00

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:53 AM »
Yup we talked about resonance. How does resonance effect the strength of an acid though?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
Ok, I can give a truer answer then.

The acidity of an acid depends on the stability of it's conjugate base - the more stable the conjugate base, the stronger the acid.  One of the biggest factors contributing to stability is electron delocalization.  By electron delocalization, I mean the electrons have more space to move around.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/period3/clo4a.gif

That's the structure of the perchlorate anion.  Due to resonance effects, the negative charge is actually shared equally between all 4 oxygens, to give this structure

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Perchlorate-2D-dimensions.png

The negative charge (electrons) are spread out over a large area on several electronegative atoms (which are happy to accept the partial negative charge, due to their electron affinity).  The combination of these things leads to a stable conjugate base.

Applying this info to my previous post - perchloric acid exhibits resonance too - there just exists a formal positive charge on the oxygen attached to the hydrogen and a formal negative charge on the other oxygens.  The other oxygens are resonance electron withdrawers, which means there is less electron density near the hydrogen, making it more prone to dissociate.

Sponsored Links