April 26, 2024, 11:41:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The decreasing amount of Ozone in the atmosphere  (Read 5526 times)

Offline sm2345

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
The decreasing amount of Ozone in the atmosphere
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Hello, I am interested in different natural phenomenon and was thinking today about the decreasing amount of Ozone gas in the atmosphere of Earth and the different diseases/ harmful effects that it has on the living creatures.

I would like to hear more about the destruction of the O3 layer and the reasons behind this. But mostly I was wondering how to prevent this. Of course I know the fundamentals of this but I am uncertain about the holes that are being created and the positions of them.

Hope this will be an interesting topic to discuss. ::)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: The decreasing amount of Ozone in the atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
I know the fundamentals of this but I am uncertain about the holes that are being created and the positions of them.

This statement contradict itself. Positions of holes are fundamental.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: The decreasing amount of Ozone in the atmosphere
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »
The "holes" used in describing the phenomena are mostly metaphorical.  Oxygen in the upper atmosphere forms ozone.  If the ozone reacts with a particular class of pollutants, it will be destroyed, faster than it's generated, especially if wind currents concentrate the pollutants, and prevents significant motion away -- the localized depletion looks like a "hole" on an image charting ozone levels, but the human race hasn't "broken a hole in the sky", except when stand up comedians steal the metaphor for their routines.  Start with the Wikipedia explanation, and see what small parts you'd like to talk about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links