April 20, 2024, 02:55:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two basic questions about isotopes & redox reactions.  (Read 6775 times)

Offline hsp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Two basic questions about isotopes & redox reactions.
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »
 have two simple questions that I'm not too sure about.

The first is can carbon form the C4+ Ion?

I know that it can't occur naturally.. but radioactively and in things like single-walled carbon nanotube paper?

Secondly..

Is the reaction of magnesium metal with dilute hydrochloric acid a redox reaction?

I'm leaning towards no as I can't see any transfer of electrons and i see no transfer of oxygens etc?

Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) => Mg^2+(aq) + 2Cl^-(aq) + H2(g)

Magnesium has a 2+ to begin with etc? Frustratingly simple I know but I'm only just starting out on redox reactions etc.

Any help asap would be great! Cheers.

Offline UG

• Mole Snacks: +134/-15
Re: Two basic questions about isotopes & redox reactions.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »
Is the reaction of magnesium metal with dilute hydrochloric acid a redox reaction?

I'm leaning towards no as I can't see any transfer of electrons and I see no transfer of oxygens etc?

Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) => Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + H2(g)

Magnesium has a 2+ to begin with etc? Frustratingly simple I know but I'm only just starting out on redox reactions etc.

Redox reactions can also involve the transfer of electrons (in this case) as well as hydrogen.
Magnesium metal has lost 2 electrons (it has been oxidised) and the 2 hydrogen ions (H+) have gained 1 electron each to form hydrogen gas (H2), they've been reduced. So this is a redox equation.  :)

Offline hsp

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »

I'm leaning towards no as I can't see any transfer of electrons and I see no transfer of oxygens etc?

Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) => Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + H2(g)

Redox reactions can also involve the transfer of electrons (in this case) as well as hydrogen.
Magnesium metal has lost 2 electrons (it has been oxidised) and the 2 hydrogen ions (H+) have gained 1 electron each to form hydrogen gas (H2), they've been reduced. So this is a redox equation.  :)

Thanks a million for the reply!

So I'm just trying to grasp the concept, if you don't have time to reply it's all good..
So is Mg to begin with 2+ or not? If not then I understand how it has been oxidised, i just thought Mg was 2+ to begin with but I suppose that's pretty stupid ha.

Cheers... and if anyone has help with the C4+ Ion i'd appreciate it a lot.
It seems pretty obvious, I just want to make sure I'm correct.

Thanks.

Offline UG

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
So is Mg to begin with 2+ or not? If not then I understand how it has been oxidised
The oxidation number of magnesium to start off with is 0, the oxidation number of a monoatomic ion is the same as the charge on the ion so the O.N becomes +2. Are you familiar with oxidation numbers?

Offline hsp

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »
I didn't do chemistry in high-school, i'm currently doing introductory chem at uni before going onto harder stuff.

I understand about electron transfer, reduction, oxidation & which get what (generally)...
but i don't know about half equations as of yet.

Still basic knowledge.. i know that oxidated compounds/atoms come first in the equation etc.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure it'll catch on more as I progress further.

Offline UG

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
No problem hsp  :)
Any time.

Offline hsp

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »
If anyone has a suggestion or some help about my C4+ ion question then feel free!

I'm pretty sure im right in saying no but any help is help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:15:52 AM »
C4+

C4+ or C4+?

Not that I will know the answer ;)

More seriously - I think there is no problem with creating isolated C4+ in gaseous phase. Well, perhaps "no problem" is an exagerration, but for sure it is doable. However, I doubt it is possible in the presence of other atoms.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hsp

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:26:38 AM »
yea i meant C4+...

Well from what I've been able to read is that Carbon in theory can form C4+ but in reality it's not likely because once those electrons are gone, the carbon almost instantly tries to find/be attracted to other atoms etc?

Hopefully that makes sense..

It's just annoying because I don't know if the question is referring to naturally or in some other lame form.

Thanks though.

Sponsored Links