April 24, 2024, 01:54:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis  (Read 4401 times)

Offline accolay

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Synthesis
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:21:39 PM »
Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding synthesis. What would be the product should phthalic acid and acetic anhydride be refluxed. The crystals were recrystallized in chloroform.

I'm not sure what the product would be for an aromatic dicarboxylic acid and an acid anhydride. Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks,
AC

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
If I had to guess, I'd say it would probably lead to mostly mono-Fischer esterification, due to how one hydroxyl strongly coordinates to the other carbonyl, but I would think you could also potentially get the diesterification, depending on the conditions you used.

Offline accolay

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
Thanks for you rapid response!  But what would be the product of the overall rxn? What ester would form? I'm going back to the lab tomorrow to do some more tests but would like to know what it is that forms with the acetic anhydride and phtalic acid.

Many thanks again for your help.  I really appreciate it,
AC

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »
phthalic anhydride?  Are you giving us all the information?  you just heated phthalic acid and acetic anhydride neat in a flask?  no solvent or any other reagents?

I doubt it's fischer, no alcohols in solution.

As for predicting the product yourself... what elements/functional groups are nucleophiles?  Which ones are electrophiles?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline accolay

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
My first guess was phthalic anhydride but I wasn't sure. Didn't think it was Fischer either. I, indeed, added phthalic acid and acetic anhydride and refluxed it. Then I collected crystals and recrystallized it in chloroform, given guidelines by my research advisor.

Does this help?

Thanks for your help,
AC

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »
yes it helps.  My guess stands until you get a mp.  It's still a good exercise to go over how to predict this product.  Can you identify possible nucleophiles/electrophiles?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline accolay

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Melting point in mid-high 120s, will be going back to the lab tomorrow to redo/make sure. Thanks!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »
Sorry on the Fischer - brain fart!

Sponsored Links