April 20, 2024, 01:42:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic functional groups-alcohols, ethers, aldehydes and ketones  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Exactra

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have a few questions that i need help with and will be extremely grateful to anyone that can *delete me* It will mean alot, Thanks!  ;D

1.The iodoform test could in principle be conducted with any halogen. Why is only I2 used?

2.The formation of bisulfite addition products is reversible, and this reversibility can be exploited in a scheme that separates aldehydes from ketones. Explain how this separation scheme would work. Explain how this can be combined with the iodoform reaction to avoid interferences from methyl ketones. Explain whether or not 2-alkanols would interfere.

3.Much of the chemistry described in this experiment was used extensively in the past (prior to the advent of spectroscopic tools) to determine the structures of unknown compounds, either by degradative reactions to produce known products, or derivatizing reactions to produce known derivatives.
A student performed the following tests on an unknown substance A:
•   The compound was sparingly water-soluble but freely soluble in all organic solvents tested;
•   The Br2/dark and Br2/light tests were both positive;
•    The CHCl3/AlCl3 test was positive;
•   the unknown could not be extracted into alkaline water from an ether solution
•   the Lucas reagent gave a quick reaction and the sodium test was positive
•   the 2.4-dinitrophenylhydrazine and I2/NaOH tests were both negative;
•   the CrO3/H2SO4 test was positive and the resulting product could be extracted to into alkaline water.
Use these results to infer a possible structure for compound A.

Offline plankk

• Mole Snacks: +20/-4
Re: Organic functional groups-alcohols, ethers, aldehydes and ketones
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »
1. Check how iodoform, bromoform and chloroform look like.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Organic functional groups-alcohols, ethers, aldehydes and ketones
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:43:26 AM »
Please read forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links