April 29, 2024, 08:49:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Structure determination  (Read 4246 times)

Offline c0ok1e

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Structure determination
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:07 AM »
Hi

Im new to the field of organic chemistry. I am doing research on the isolation and determination of an unknown compound. I would like to ask what are the steps required to determine the structure of an unknown compound? I know that I will need to use 2D NMR. Is 2D NMR the only tool that I will need to determine the structure or is there a flow of process that I need to follow to fully determine its structure? JUst a general flow chart of what I need to dtermine structure will do. No need for detail as I will read up on the detail.

Thanks

Offline sanderol

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Re: Structure determination
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:58 AM »
Obtaining a crystal structure by X-ray is enough to determine your structure. NMR usually is not enough, you probably need more data. Like Mass stuff like that.

Gl with reading, cause these things you dont learn overnight  ;). But we're willing to help.

Offline c0ok1e

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
I dont think I will be using X ray crystallography because my compound is a low molecular weight compound less than 1k Da. X ray can only be used on higher molecula weight compound like protein right?
Then is it ok if after I isolate the compound then run mas spectrometry then 2d NMR to determine the stucture?
No need to use UV something right?

From what I have read this is what I learn. Correct me if im wrong please:
NMR: to determine framework of the structure through C and H bond
MS: to determine molecular mass of compound
UV something: to determine the absorption wavelength of compound

then there are still other stuff which i dont really know what they do like IR or something like dat

By the way, using NMR they only determine C and H bond what if my compound have other elements to it like O or N? How do I find out what other elements r in the compound?

Thanks

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
Anything that crystallizes can be x-rayed for structural information. There is no 1 kDa rule. Most people don't characterize a compound blindly. Most products can be predicted if one is mindful of the organic chemistry they are doing.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline c0ok1e

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »
but my supervisor never said anything about using x ray crystallography and most of the journals i read that doesnt concern protein they usually dont use x ray.

Is there a reason it such as organic chem lab that deals with natural products dont own an x ray machine? or they have nmr machine which can substiture for x ray?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
x-ray is too expensive for any single chem lab to have, but it is a very common instrument to find somewhere in the department. Natural product chemists get x-rays of their compounds all the time, assuming their material will crystallize.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links