March 29, 2024, 10:58:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: a-Phenylethylamine + CO2  (Read 11564 times)

Offline xoggyux

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
a-Phenylethylamine + CO2
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:54:17 PM »
What is the white compound obtained when a-phenylthylamine reacts with co2.
I think co2 reacts as nucleotide (lone pairs in O) and reacts with phenylthylamine acting as an electrophile. but what I cant figure out is where it reacts? will it substitue the amino group? if so what will be the products.

Offline ufalynn88

Re: a-Phenylethylamine + CO2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »
I think it is more likely for benzene to act as the nucleophile and attack CO2. The resonance structure that illustrates the nucleophilicity of carbon dioxide leaves carbon with a positive charge....I would probably add CO2 para to the other substituent....

Offline xoggyux

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
I was checking at my lecture's book and I am trying to do a Diel's-Alder reaction?
Is that the correct approach?

Offline aldoxime_amine

• Mole Snacks: +7/-4
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:01 AM »
I was checking at my lecture's book and I am trying to do a Diel's-Alder reaction?

No, I don't think so. Maybe you would like to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolbe-Schmitt_reaction

Offline xoggyux

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »

No, I don't think so. Maybe you would like to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolbe-Schmitt_reaction

When I opened the link I was like GREAT THIS IS IT, however the book does say it reacts readily with CO2 from the atmosphere, so there is no basic solution available. Is there any alternate mechanism?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »
CO2 reacts with water to form a weak acid, which with amine can form a salt - carbonate (eg. (NH4)2CO3 is known). At a proper conditions (but not in the air) you can obtain urea of this type RNHCONHR
AWK

Sponsored Links