April 26, 2024, 10:21:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Monoprotic/Polyprotic Acids Definition problem (Teacher vs Wikipedia)  (Read 5689 times)

Offline s3a

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
"Polyprotic acids are those acids that are able to donate more than one proton per molecule during the process of dissociation (sometimes called ionization). - Wikipedia

"Depending on how many acidic hydrogens a molecule gives off, they are classified as follows:
   -Monoprotic
   -Diprotic
   -Triprotic"

I know that Diprotic and Triprotic branch off from polyprotic and that's far from my problem. What I don't understand is that my teacher refers to this whole polyprotic business as givers of acidic hydrogens while wikipedia says it's all about donating protons. Is one wrong? Are both right? If both are right then, what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Monoprotic/Polyprotic Acids Definition problem (Teacher vs Wikipedia)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
Just like in your other question, you've gotten bogged down in the nomenclature -- giving hydrogens, donating protons, they are different ways of visualizing the same phenomena.  And by the way, neither one really happens, but that doesn't absolve you from learning the various definitions of acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid#Definitions_and_concepts
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Monoprotic/Polyprotic Acids Definition problem (Teacher vs Wikipedia)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »
"Polyprotic acids are those acids that are able to donate more than one proton per molecule during the process of dissociation (sometimes called ionization). - Wikipedia

"Depending on how many acidic hydrogens a molecule gives off, they are classified as follows:
   -Monoprotic
   -Diprotic
   -Triprotic"

I know that Diprotic and Triprotic branch off from polyprotic and that's far from my problem. What I don't understand is that my teacher refers to this whole polyprotic business as givers of acidic hydrogens while wikipedia says it's all about donating protons. Is one wrong? Are both right? If both are right then, what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Polyprotic acid are real, eg; methylacrylic acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methacrylic_acid
AWK

Sponsored Links