April 29, 2024, 03:04:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tricky mechanism: carbonyl from B-aminonitrile  (Read 2389 times)

Offline combatwombat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Tricky mechanism: carbonyl from B-aminonitrile
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »
The synthetic step is shown below. I am feeling like the mechanism could go either of 2 ways:
1) Lone pair on -NH2 attacks a proton, then H2O attacks carbon #2 to displace NH3.

2) The double bond attacks a proton, resulting in carbon #1 being protonated while #2 becomes a carbocation. The LP from the nitrogen forms a double bond with carbon #2 to stabilize the charge, then H2O attacks carbon #2. Proton transfer to get -NH3+ and -OH, and then remove 1 more proton from -OH to form the carbonyl, which kicks off NH3.

Looking back, it seems like mechanism #2 is more more feasible; but a few things don't quite add up. I have to wonder if carbon #1 would be the more likely carbon to become protonated from electrophillic attack by the double bond, since it is alpha to the nitrile and protons there should therefore be more acidic (i.e., protonation at carbon #2 might be more stable?). It kind of seems like the lone pair on the -NH2 would just be more basic than the double bond... Am I looking at this the right way?

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Tricky mechanism: carbonyl from B-aminonitrile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »
Enamine hydrolysis.

Check out the page here and read about the enamine formation.  Can you formulate a reverse pathway now?

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/aldket1.htm

Sponsored Links