March 29, 2024, 05:34:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with power plant idea  (Read 13135 times)

Corvettaholic

Help with power plant idea
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:18:23 PM »
I want to undertake a home improvement project, and I know what I want it to do, but I'm having difficulty understanding some of the steps along the way. Maybe you guys can help, cause I'm actually gonna build this if it isn't too cost prohibitive.

Goal: Generate electricity by using something extremely common as fuel (dirt or atmosphere)

Things I hope for: The idea is to generate a current by using a method OTHER than steam turning a turbine, but I will accept that if I have to. The goal is to have enough power to run most appliances and lights in my house.

Limits: Must be cheap. Source of heat will be a heat mirror, if I need a source of heat. Cannot be connected to the power grid because that would defeat the purpose (unless it needs a little boost to get going). The size of this contraption can't be any bigger than 2 hot-tubs put together, as I have a small backyard. Can't be TOO noisy, as the HOA president is my neighbor, and she's old.

Any thoughts on this would be great. I know dirt has to have SOMETHING useful in it!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Help with power plant idea
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 04:23:38 PM »
You could make something using coal to turn a little turbine. Coal is pretty cheap.

Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 04:24:00 PM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »
The main thing is, I want an alternative to living off of the power grid for cheaper. Don't really have to, since I live in the middle of Phoenix, I just want to save on my power bill over the long run.

Coal, good suggestion. Main thing I'm trying to do is get the wheels in my head turning cause I'm really good at coming up with crazy ideas.

I did a google search on the composition of "dirt", and its something like 55% oxygen, 35% silicon, 5% aluminum, and 5% other stuff. Its a pretty rough approximation, cause dirt can vary depending on where you get it from. I plan on getting crappy fill dirt from the alley behind my house. So this got me thinking, how can I break down dirt to get some of the good stuff out of it?

If I can get this thing working, I'll give you guys the plans for free so we can all lead lives powered by dirt  ;D

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 08:52:26 AM »
u heard of biomass fuel?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Scratch-

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +6/-4
  • llamas, eat my bazooka!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 09:38:16 AM »
Farmers can make methane from their.. uh ..animals. Probably not something you want to do  ;D.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 09:39:21 AM by Scratch- »
Hydrochloric acid, guaranteed to make you lose weight!

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 02:34:14 PM »
Make a metal tree with leaves made out of solar panels.
I've got nothin'

Corvettaholic

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 03:28:59 PM »
Actually greg, you might be on to something with the metal tree idea. 1) it would asthetic value because its shiny and tree-like and 2) it would give me power!

Figure I could power all the outdoor lighting with it if I saved up power during the day.

As far as making a power plant, I think I'm best off with a nice self contained steam generator. How hard would it be to make my own turbine blades (paddle wheel) and hook the output to my old corvette alternator?

Sponsored Links