April 26, 2024, 05:51:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Bonding's connection with lone pairs  (Read 8296 times)

Offline urvashi314

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydrogen Bonding's connection with lone pairs
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »
Hula!

hydrogen bonding is found in compounds of most electronegative elements. And the cause is associated with the 'polar' nature of the bonds which such elements are capable of forming. Ex. H20 HF or NH3

But what relation does hydrogen bonding have with number of lone pairs present on the central atom. This answer caused me to think about it

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Alup8YS493HGFNsGXvlRUdjsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090501055348AAI7YEi&show=7#profile-info-ec8wf23daa

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: Hydrogen Bonding's connection with lone pairs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »
Hula!

hydrogen bonding is found in compounds of most electronegative elements. And the cause is associated with the 'polar' nature of the bonds which such elements are capable of forming. Ex. H20 HF or NH3

But what relation does hydrogen bonding have with number of lone pairs present on the central atom. This answer caused me to think about it

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Alup8YS493HGFNsGXvlRUdjsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090501055348AAI7YEi&show=7#profile-info-ec8wf23daa

I assume is quite difficult for the central atom to form more than 1 hydrogen bond, it would lose too much electrons. I've never seen an oxygen atom bound to 4 other otoms, for example.

Offline urvashi314

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »
Hula!

I assume is quite difficult for the central atom to form more than 1 hydrogen bond, it would lose too much electrons. I've never seen an oxygen atom bound to 4 other otoms, for example.

Actually I just wanted to know if hydrogen bonds are formed between partially positively charged hydrogen atom and lone pairs of central electronegative atom or between partially positive hydrogen atom and lone pair of central electronegative element

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
Actually I just wanted to know if hydrogen bonds are formed between partially positively charged hydrogen atom and lone pairs of central electronegative atom or between partially positive hydrogen atom and lone pair of central electronegative element
The first, in the sense that hydrogen bonding is an electrostatic interaction between the partially positively charged H in the molecule and the partially negatively charged O in the molecule, so the lone pairs are seen from H as an overall negative charge, there is not a covalent bond with one (or the other) of those pairs (otherwise it wouldn't be an hydrogen bonding but a covalent one).

Offline urvashi314

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
Yeah. This is exactly what I have learned. Just got a little confused by seeing that yahoo answer

Sponsored Links