April 25, 2024, 11:34:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: burning isopropyl alcohol  (Read 23113 times)

evaderguy89

burning isopropyl alcohol
« on: May 23, 2005, 06:44:33 PM »
My chemistry teacher took an absopure water thing (the big blue ones that are on upsidedown in the disoenser).  He coated the container insides with 25ml 25% isopropyl alcohol.  He then lit a match and placed it over the mouth of the container.  A fire started in the container and after it went out, he tipped the container over, and a small amount of water poured out.  Can someone tell me what happened?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:26:26 PM by geodome »

evaderguy89

Re:PLEASE HELP EXPLAIN THIS EXPERIMENT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 06:48:47 PM »
sorry, but to show that i am thinking about this, i think it might have to do with the combustability of the isopropyl alchoal gasses.  

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 07:25:07 PM »
2C3H7OH + 9O2 -> 6CO2 + 8H2O

complete combustion of alchohol (and hydrocarbon) produces water.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

evaderguy89

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:18:53 PM »
ok, thanks for the help so far.  why does the alchoal vapor react like this though?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
burning isopropyl alcohol
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 08:25:41 PM »
the reaction produces water in vapour state. the hot water vapour rises above the flame, then cool down at the container inner surface to condense.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 08:26:52 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

evaderguy89

Re:burning isopropyl alcohol
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:04:20 PM »
thank you so much!  is there anything i should know about the molecules taking place in this reaction?

evaderguy89

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »
but where does the flame come from?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 09:29:24 PM »
the flame comes from burning ethanol. energy is given out as light and heat.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:31:10 PM »
You may also want to note that the majority of the water doesn't come from the isopropyl alcohol itself, but from the solution poured in.  You said it was 25%.  That means that 75% of the original liquid that was poured into the container was water.  Kind of anti-climactic: you pour water in, you pour water out.  Wow.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 08:56:12 PM »
Another note I'd like to add is:
Ispropanol burns easily mainly because it vaporizes easily. It doesn't burn very hot. It seams to completely combust in the air easily. The vapor is poisionous and causes sickness easily (throwing up) if breathe in to much.

Ok it was more than one but o well. These conclusions are from my own fun and not fun.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links