April 26, 2024, 11:22:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HCL dissociates in Water..  (Read 31627 times)

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
HCL dissociates in Water..
« on: May 03, 2009, 06:02:31 AM »
I know that HCL will break when put into water. I also know that Oxygen is more electronegative than Chlorine.

However electronegativity cannot be the reason why oxygen is able to remove the Hydrogen from the chlorine. Since the reaction is such

H2O + HCL  => [H3O+] and CL-

The Oxygen is not competing for electrons, with chlorine since oxygen uses two of its own electrons and grabs hydrogen and the bond between chlorine and hydrogen in HCL throws all of its e- onto chlorine itself making chlorine negative.

Perhaps it has to do with atomic orbitals and geometry. The chlorine bond is between a 1s and 3p orbital. While an oxygen bond is between a 1s and 2sp3. I'm thinking that the stability gained from this is the driving reaction to create a chlorine Ion.

Yes, no?

Offline o0CY0o

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: HCL dissociates in Water..
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
I know that HCL will break when put into water. I also know that Oxygen is more electronegative than Chlorine.

However electronegativity cannot be the reason why oxygen is able to remove the Hydrogen from the chlorine. Since the reaction is such

H2O + HCL  => [H3O+] and CL-

The Oxygen is not competing for electrons, with chlorine since oxygen uses two of its own electrons and grabs hydrogen and the bond between chlorine and hydrogen in HCL throws all of its e- onto chlorine itself making chlorine negative.

Perhaps it has to do with atomic orbitals and geometry. The chlorine bond is between a 1s and 3p orbital. While an oxygen bond is between a 1s and 2sp3. I'm thinking that the stability gained from this is the driving reaction to create a chlorine Ion.

Yes, no?

From my own perspective, i think considering the large amount of ion- dipole attraction breaking the ionic bond between HCl would be more appropriate. Since there are many dipole(water) surrounding the HCl once it is put into water.
Moreover, this could increase the randomness of the system. Therefore, also energytically favourable.

Offline harkkam

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:50:36 AM »
So your saying multiple polar attractions from the oxygen are strong enough to break the polar bond of chlorine and the H pops off and binds to the closest oxygen.

Offline o0CY0o

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:16:35 AM »
So your saying multiple polar attractions from the oxygen are strong enough to break the polar bond of chlorine and the H pops off and binds to the closest oxygen.
Too some extend, yes. As you could see the interaction is many water to one HCl molecule. So the summaztion larger is reasonable.

Sponsored Links