April 25, 2024, 06:49:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fluoride and teeth... How do they interract chemically to protect teeth?  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Gunshin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello I'm doing a research paper on water fluoridation in chemistry and I'm really struggling to find the CHEMISTRY behind how fluoride helps to protect teeth.

Apparently, in general terms, it helps in 4 ways:
1. fluoride alters the structure of the developing enamel making it more resistant to acid attack

2.encourages remineralisation and ensures that the enamel crystals that are laid down are of improved quality

3.reducing the ability of the plaque bacteria to produce acid

4. it affects the depth of the fissures (grooves) on the biting surfaces of the teeth

Since this is a chemistry assignment, I need to know the CHEMICAL PROCESSES that occur when it does these things - when fluorine interacts with teeth. Please use equations where appropriate.

I am not looking for anyone's opinion on the topic of water fluoridation and please don't post the advantages/disadvantages of water fluoridation (unless its in the context of the chemical processes).

Please help, any relevant information is extremely welcome!
Thankyou in advance. :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
There is a very simple answer, chemically, to fluoride's affect on tooth enamel.  I am not aware of many of your bullet points.  If you have a good reference for them, you can site them in your report, and all will be fine.  To dive the conversation to the direction where I know what I'm talking about :D -- what is the chemical formula for tooth enamel?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links