April 25, 2024, 04:02:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pH of a buffering system  (Read 20689 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:pH of a buffering system
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 10:43:31 AM »
i used the wrong value of Kb1 in my first attempt and i got pH = 3.75

after i rectified the value of kb1, i got pH = 13

what is wrong with the nature of my working, that i can discount the other equilibrium based on which equilibrium is much more dominant?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:12:34 AM »
(1) H2PO4- + H2O <-> HPO42- + H3O+
(2) H2PO4- + H2O <-> H3PO4 + OH-

the first step is govened by Ka2 and the second step is governed by Kb1.

No - the second equilibrium is governed by Kb3 (related to Ka1).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 11:14:25 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 07:16:58 PM »
Funny thing is, adding acid or base you will effectively increase the buffer capacity, as you will get closer with pH to pKa1 or pKa2.Not exactly if I recall correctly - it rather states that if differences between pKa values are large enough you can use HH equation for calculation independently for both buffers. If the Ka values are too close, HH equation is no longer valid. However, such substances (TRIS, citric acid) are very good for buffer creation. They can be used in much wider pH range, cause the buffering effects of different dissociation steps overlap.

yeah. the titration curve for H3PO4 suggested so. There are two points of inflexion where it allows the solution to act as effective buffer. We all learn something new everyday. I saw this mention in AWK's pdf. (Cheers, AWK)

I just realise the order of Ka begins with H3PO4 and the ordering of Kb begins with PO4 3-. I never knew Kb was arranged in such an order. I always thought the conjugate base from Ka1 will be responsible for Kb1. I learned something new today.

I just realise the order of Ka begins with H3PO4 and the ordering of Kb begins with PO4 3-. I never knew Kb was arranged in such an order. I always thought the conjugate base from Ka1 will be responsible for Kb1. I learned something new today.

kb1 = Kw/Ka3 = 0.0222
Since Kb1/Ka2 = 352733, then Kb1 is primarily responisble for the pH, and not Ka2.

This should be:
Kb3 = Kw/Ka1 = 1.408E-12 (similar to my first workings). The pH I get in the end is still 3.75. I still don't know why my assumption to neglect the basic hydrolysis of H2PO4 2- is wrong. sigh..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:17:38 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
with reference to the attached table,

Since Ka2/Ka3 = 140000, then pH contribution by the Ka3 is negligible, ie. D = 0

mole balance of all phosphate ions,
[H2PO4 -]o = [H2PO4 -] + [H3PO4] + [HPO4 2-]
0.5 = (0.5 - A) = B + C => A = B + C

Ka1 = [H+](0.5-A)/B
[H+] = Ka1 * B/(0.5-A)

Ka2 = [H+]C/(0.5-A)
[H+] = Ka2 * (0.5-A)/C

[H+] = C - B = (A-B) - B = A - 2B
[H+]2 = Ka1Ka2*B/C = Ka1Ka2*B/(A-B)
(A-2B)2 = Ka1Ka2*B/C = Ka1Ka2*B/(A-B)

assume A >> B, the above equation is simplified to:
A2 = Ka1Ka2*B/A
A3 = Ka1Ka2*B

[H+] = Ka1 * B/(0.5-A)
(A-2B) = Ka1 * B/(0.5-A)
A = Ka1 * B/(0.5-A) (assume A >> B)
B = A(0.5-A)/Ka1

A3 = Ka1Ka2*B
A3 = Ka1Ka2*A(0.5-A)/Ka1 = Ka2*A(0.5 - A)
A2 = Ka2*(0.5 - A) = -0.5A + 0.5Ka2
A2 + 0.5A - 0.5Ka2 = 0

solving quadratically,
A = 6.3E-8
B = A(0.5-A)/Ka1 = 4.44E-6 <-- this is wrong because B must be less than A

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 01:02:39 PM »
assume A >> B

A, B and C are all comparable.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

GCT

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 03:13:38 PM »
Geodome, don't you have the answer to this question?  I've been reading upon the link AWK provided, and it seems that the hydrolysis of iron needs to be taken into account, it is actually the reason why the solution qualifies as a buffer (dihydrogen phosphate does have buffer properties as indicated by AWK, however we do not have dihydrogen phosphate alone, but also a concentration of the iron).  Remember that with buffer solutions, the reaction of either the conjugate acid/base can be neglected due to the common ion effect.  Thus treating this as a buffer problem would probably suffice.  Try observing the link for references (AWK's link)  

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »
it seems that the hydrolysis of iron needs to be taken into account

No. It has to be ignored. Fe concentration is 15200 times smaller than phosphate concentration.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2005, 05:46:17 PM »
GCT: The solution to this buffering problem is enclosed in AWK's PDF. It's just that I don't understand why my workings is wrong. I begin to see more light in understanding why my workings is wrong, as our discussion carries on. I am not interested in the answer, but to learn the concept required to solve all buffer problems.

Cheers to all of you

:D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 05:54:23 PM by geodome »

Sponsored Links