April 25, 2024, 09:40:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Buffers - Common Ion Necessary?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline kirsch

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Buffers - Common Ion Necessary?
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
Hello all,

If I remember correctly from Gen Chem, the discussion of buffers began with something called "The Common Ion Effect."  For instance, if a simple buffer is prepared (say sodium acetate/acetic acid), there is a common ion once the ions are disassociated (in this case, the common ion is acetate).

However, I was seeking help today in my research lab, and a technician told me that I can make a "phosphate buffer and titrate it with HBr" for the current project on which I am working.  And I thought, well, yeah, if I need to lower pH I can always add acid, but... in that case, where's the common ion?  Wouldn't I want to use something like monosodium phosphate and phosphoric acid? 

I understand that the H+ generated from the disassociation of HBr in water would cause a decrease in pH (which is what I need to do)--that's pretty obvious.  But, I thought the whole point of common ions was to make use of the equilibrium involved in weak acid disassociations.  By making use of the equilibrium, the common ion can "suck up" or donate protons as necessary.

Am I missing something here?

thanks,

kirsch

Offline Loyal

• Mole Snacks: +7/-5
Re: Buffers - Common Ion Necessary?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Think about it.  What are you making by adding the acid?   None other than the conjugate base of Phosphates. 

H+ + PO43-   ::equil::  HPO42-

So by adding the acid you are making the conjugate base right there in the solution.

This is actually the way a lot of labs prepare buffers since you can grab one reagent off the shelf and simply add a strong acid/base till you reach the buffer area on the titration curve. 
Chemistry Student(Senior) at WSU

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
What you need is a pair of conjugate acid and base. These form buffer by definition.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kirsch

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
ah--I got it now.  guess I forgot the part about how buffers can be prepared in several different ways.   thanks!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
Take a look at buffer calculator ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Loyal

• Mole Snacks: +7/-5
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
A slight correction on what I was saying.  By adding the acid you are making the conjugate acid not base.  I slipped up on my terminology.
Chemistry Student(Senior) at WSU

Offline kirsch

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 02:27:58 PM »
So, if you can simply titrate a salt or acid one way or another with something like HCl or NaOH, what's the point of the "two solution" method (where you mix proportions of acid and conjugate base to get the desired pH)? 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
I don't have a pH meter here... but I can easily prepare pH 5.0 buffer.

Sponsored Links