April 23, 2024, 10:36:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what's general chemistry and what's introductory chemistry?  (Read 6573 times)

Offline McCoy

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
For those in the US, i hear people talking about general Chemistry>>.what's it? How is it different from just Chemistry?
And just being curious: I know there're heaps of graduates here...and the term introductory chemistry may vary to different people...but what do you guys think is introductory chemistry? Is 2nd and 3rd year in that category? If not, do you think anyone who is in 2nd or 3rd year but still using atkins as the recommended books at their uni missing out miserably?

Any comment is highly welcome.
Cheers.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: what's general chemistry and what's introductory chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
It really will depend on the school.  My best guess is that names like: Chemistry 101, General Chemistry, Introductory Chemistry or Inorganic Chemistry are all synonyms for the same basic concept -- your first, university level, chemistry course.  Or maybe not, some may be more tailored for a different degree program.  What examples do you have, and how does the school describe the courses?  What is each one a prerequisite for?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline McCoy

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
thanks for the response. I actually didn't look at how the school describe general chemistry because we don't have it in our school. Im my school, you become a chemistry student from day one at uni and you're treated as such(maybe that's why we have book entitled 'General chemistry'). There're some schools though whereby you don't do chemistry by by itself from first year and i hear books called "general chemistry" being recommended for them.
and the reason I asked if 2nd and 3rd year are inroductory levels is atkins books are mostly cited here as recommendation for an introductory level of chem but they're mostly used in australia in 2nd an third year chemistry degree.So I was wondering if Australians are soft on their kids!

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
Atkins is a good book, it doesn't really matter when you read it as long as you get through it.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links