March 28, 2024, 10:07:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Analytical Chemistry  (Read 8964 times)

anita

Analytical Chemistry
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:21:22 AM »
1% solutions of sodium Oleate ,Soap ,Detergent,Gelatine
Gum acacia are all emulsifiers. I want to know which one of them will form stable emulsions with castor oil. Pls arrange them in increasing or decreasing order according to the satble emulsions formed.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re:Analytical Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:56:04 PM »
Hello Anita,

Here is a good hint:

Theoretically speaking, Castor oil is typically not soluble in water by itself, find out the HLB values for each emulsifer, and the HLB value closes to about 12.9 will emulsify the best, and 1.0 will be the worse.

Having many years of experience at formulating and formulations, the best method is to actually perform the test (theory is nice, but sometimes does not work).

I hope this helps,

Eugene
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:32:44 PM by eugenedakin »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

pradeep

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 10:24:56 AM »
Hello Anita,

Here is a good hint:

Theoretically speaking, Castor oil is typically not soluble in water by itself, find out the HLB values for each emulsifer, and the HLB value closes to about 12.9 will emulsify the best, and 1.0 will be the worse.

Having many years of experience at formulating and formulations, the best method is to actually perform the test (theory is nice, but sometimes does not work).

I hope this helps,

Eugene Dakin Ph.D., P.Chem.

Sir,
I had read about HLB values, but the method to determine look confusible.
Some author says to prepare mixtures & some ask to measure easter & acid values experimently. Can u guide?

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:11:37 AM »
Hello Pradeep,

Yes, you are correct when authors mention the preparation of mixtures, and measurement of acid and ester values.  From past experience, HLB emulsifiers with values near 12.9 seemed to work quite well for most blends that I have created (oil in water blends).  This information was determined by experimentation (add a measured amount of water, and a measured amount of oil, and determine how much emulsifier is required for a homogenous blend).

Almost any blend will require actual miniturized blending in the laboratory, then extrapolation to large blends.

A reason for determining the acid value strongly depends on the type of emulsifier implemented.  For example, dimethyl dibenzyl sulphonic acid will usually outperform its sodium salt.  In this case, an acidic blend will be able to emulsify more oil in an oil in water blend than its salt.

Ester values are usually related very closely to the HLB values of nonionic surfactants (nonyl phenol ethoxylates for example).   Once again, the HLB values will get you close to the correct emulsion values, and preparing actual blends will 'fine-tune' subtleties to adjust for pH, salts, contamination, etc.

I hope this clarifies some of my comments.  Best Wishes,

Eugene
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:33:09 PM by eugenedakin »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links