April 28, 2024, 08:39:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Combining a hydrogen sulfate ion and a hydrogen carbonate ion- Bronstad Lowry  (Read 6938 times)

Offline KurzickMushroom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Hi guys. An aqueous hydrogen sulfate ion acts as the Bronstad-Lowry acid in the neutraliztion of a solution of hydrogen carbonate ions.
What is the chemical solution?

Basically, I have no idea what they would form. I'm not sure which one would give the other their proton.

Offline jcjlf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Hi guys. An aqueous hydrogen sulfate ion acts as the Bronstad-Lowry acid in the neutraliztion of a solution of hydrogen carbonate ions.

Basically, I have no idea what they would form. I'm not sure which one would give the other their proton.
An acid provides the proton, so hydrogen sulphate loses a proton, and therefore hydrogen carbonate must accept the proton (as a base), becoming H2CO3, carbonic acid. This substance easily and quickly decomposes into carbondioxide and water, so those two are the other products.

Offline AhBeng

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1

The conjugate base with the greater number of electronegative oxygens (and hence the higher oxidation state on the non-oxygen (eg. carbon or sulfur) atom) is the more stable conjugate base and hence that conjugate acid would be the stronger acid.

SO4 2- is more stable than CO3 2-
Hence HSO4- is a stronger acid than HCO3 -

If you have Ka and Kb values, by comparing them you'd find that HSO4 - is a stronger acid than HCO3 -.

Furthermore, bear in mind that the diprotonated carbonate anion, or carbonic acid, exists in equilibrium with CO2 and H2O. This is in fact the reason why when acids (even weak acids like carboyxlic acids) are added to carbonates, carbon dioxide is given off.

CO3 2- + H+ --> HCO3 -
HCO3 - + H+ --> H2CO3
H2CO3 --> CO2 + H2O

Carbon dioxide gas leaves the reaction solution, pulling the position of equilibrium over to the right.

(After typing the above, the server noted that "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." Ok, I've noted that jcjlf has already given a helpful reply to KurzickMushroom)

Sponsored Links