April 26, 2024, 09:33:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why must AlCl3 be stored as a hexahydrate?  (Read 5102 times)

Makubesu

Why must AlCl3 be stored as a hexahydrate?
« on: May 24, 2005, 04:51:09 PM »
I was doing some research for a lab, and I found that AlCl3 apart from being really corrosive can actuall cause an explosion when in contact with water (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_chloride under hazards).  I did a little more searching on the net, and found that they usually store it as a hexahydrate to stop it from begin so dangerous.  I don't really understand why this works though, could someone explain the concept to me?

Demotivator

Re:Why must AlCl3 be stored as a hexahydrate?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 05:08:53 PM »
Because the hydrate water is like like kryptonite, sapping the bond energy of the Al-Cl bond through dipole interactions making them weaker, weaker, ... :'(

Makubesu

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 05:53:08 PM »
Right, but why is it different when you put the AlCl3•6H20 in water than when you just put in AlCl3?  Is it just that less energy is released at once?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 05:55:37 PM by Makubesu »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »
The problem is Al3+ cation desperately wants to be hydrated. It is small and highly charged. If you put it into water it will get hydrated pretty fast and a lot of heat will be released (hydration heat so to speak). This will immediately set water boiling. If you dissolve hexahydrate some solution heat will be released, but much less.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Makubesu

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 07:17:52 PM »
Okay, I understand it now.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links