March 29, 2024, 02:31:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Barium oxalate  (Read 11592 times)

Offline beverley

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Barium oxalate
« on: May 11, 2009, 05:09:56 AM »
Hello!!

I need a little help please.

I have to produce barium oxalate.I will use this reaction:

COOH-COOH + Ba(OH)2  :rarrow: BaC2O4 + 2 H2O

I have some questions and i will appreciate your help.

1.I have oxalic acid and barium hydroxide but are solid, and I need solution. Can you tell me how should I prepear the solution and the quantities of substances and water?

2.How can I do practice this experiment, this reaction. I have to do a titration , using an indicator or just to mix the 2 solutions and to heat and after to let to cristalizate.
If anyone can explain with details the experiment and with quantities should be perfect.

Thanks  ;) ;)

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
Re: Barium oxalate
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:47:50 AM »
How well do you understand equilibrium and the properties of solutions at equilibrium?

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:05:59 AM »
Hello!!

I need a little help please.

I have to produce barium oxalate.I will use this reaction:

COOH-COOH + Ba(OH)2  :rarrow: BaC2O4 + 2 H2O

I have some questions and i will appreciate your help.

1.I have oxalic acid and barium hydroxide but are solid, and I need solution. Can you tell me how should I prepear the solution and the quantities of substances and water?

2.How can I do practice this experiment, this reaction. I have to do a titration , using an indicator or just to mix the 2 solutions and to heat and after to let to cristalizate.
If anyone can explain with details the experiment and with quantities should be perfect.

Thanks  ;) ;)

You can simply mix the solutions but you have to control the pH: at low pH oxalate will react and form hydrogenoxalate (and I don't think it's insoluble).

Offline beverley

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 06:38:33 AM »
First I want to know how I prepear the solutions. I have to prepear the barium hydroxide solution  and an overplus  oxalic acid solution(not a 1 at 1 solution).

And this mixing of the solutions.. more exactly how I do this ? I have to heat the solutions, or just put drop by drop the oxalic acid solution into the barium hydroxide solution and mix?

Thanks

Offline BluRay

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »
First I want to know how I prepear the solutions. I have to prepear the barium hydroxide solution  and an overplus  oxalic acid solution(not a 1 at 1 solution).

And this mixing of the solutions.. more exactly how I do this ? I have to heat the solutions, or just put drop by drop the oxalic acid solution into the barium hydroxide solution and mix?

Thanks
It's better if you add small amounts of the acid to the hydroxide solution, in order to keep the solution basic, and then stir, every time. At the end, the solution have to be still basic. About preparing the solutions, you just dissolve the chemicals with enough distilled water...

Just for curiosity: it's the first time I know of someone who wants to syntesize barium oxalate, what is it used for?

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
I hope that this goes without saying:  Please wear proper protective equipment.  This means, gloves, sleeves, apron, goggles....closed toe shoes. You seem to be a little inexperienced, I could be wrong. Always respect your chemicals and think safety first.  Also, make sure you don't do the experiment alone.  Always work with another person. Cheers!

Offline c0d3

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:26 PM »
No offense but you sounded like you don't have a lab manual to follow. You do this out of own interest?? If you are have to do this because this is course lab, you usually will be provided with lab manual.

Offline beverley

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
Hello everybody!

Thanks for the suggestions and for the ideas.

Offline beverley

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »

Hy! BluRay the final purpose  is to produce BaI2.

Offline beverley

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:56:07 AM »
I hope that this goes without saying:  Please wear proper protective equipment.  This means, gloves, sleeves, apron, goggles....closed toe shoes. You seem to be a little inexperienced, I could be wrong. Always respect your chemicals and think safety first.  Also, make sure you don't do the experiment alone.  Always work with another person. Cheers!

Hy !It hurts a little that I appear to be so inexperienced  :'(.

Anyway thanks for advice. I always wear protection equipment and for bad luck I work alone  ::)

;)

Offline beverley

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »
No offense but you sounded like you don't have a lab manual to follow. You do this out of own interest?? If you are have to do this because this is course lab, you usually will be provided with lab manual.

hello!

I really don't have a manual to follow because I am doing an investigation.It's not like an experiment where u have all the informations that u need and u have just to do the practical part. Maybe that's why I look so confused  :-\

HAve a nice day

Offline BluRay

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:53:58 PM »

Hy! BluRay the final purpose  is to produce BaI2.
Ok. Which is the reaction?

Sponsored Links